Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Motivation: Setting a Big Goal

So obviously I am doing this get fit journey because I have a big goal in mind. I just want to maintain my weight while getting myself toned and ready for summer. This isn't about getting thinner or losing pounds. This is about me feeling healthy again, and that is my ultimate goal: to really feel healthy like I did last summer when I made the choice to exercise everyday (usually in the form of running), give up unhealthy food, and eat more variety.

So how do you set a big goal? Most people agree that this is the easiest part because it is simply a matter of where you want to end up in your life. What is harder is giving yourself a timeline to do it. You want to be realistic, but you also don't want to give yourself an excuse to slack off. Model by May is a catchy plan name, but I gave myself until May because it seemed like a doable goal in a doable amount of time, and I don't need to be bathing suit ready until then anyway.

So, what do you need to remember about setting fitness and health goals?

1. Be realistic, but don't be afraid to push yourself. Obviously I cannot be 100 lbs, and I don't want to be. I am 5'9". That would be absurd. Even so, I want to make sure I don't give myself a goal that I can attain easily. Maintaining weight can be a hard goal, but I know I can do it if I set my mind to it and start developing some willpower (which I know I tend to NOT have).

2. Give yourself reasonable time to do it in without overdoing/underdoing it. Underdoing isn't even a word, but you get what I mean. Don't let yourself slack off. Don't say, "I want to lost 10 lbs in 10 years" because there is plenty of time in there for you to let yourself slack, and you may make detrimental mistakes. I have given myself about 3 months, which is enough to make adjustments, but not so much that I get bored and give up.

3. Be as specific as you can. If you just say, "I want to look good" you may settle for a goal you didn't want, and you won't push yourself. Again, though, it's a balance. Don't get so caught up in specificity that you let it affect you too much if you don't meet your goal. It isn't about the number on the scale unless you're severely unhealthy. Sometimes lbs matter medically, but they shouldn't contribute to how you feel about yourself. Just really focus on where you want to be at the end of your journey, and you can get there.

4. Hold yourself accountable. When you don't reach your goal or you know you messed up, own it and then move the heck on. It is easy to let something drag us down. Don't do that to yourself. Know when you do something good, know when you do something not so great, and let yourself heal. Don't make excuses for yourself, like, "But it was the weekend, so I ate a whole cake." As soon as you do this, you'll backtrack. Again, this isn't all about weight, but if you're trying to not eat so much cake, making an excuse for yourself won't help. Know when it is your fault, know when it isn't your fault, and know how to move on.

5. Reward Yourself (: We often forget to praise ourselves when we do something right. If you meed your goal GET YOURSELF SOMETHING NICE. Don't go overboard (unless you've been saving for something to give yourself as a reward) and don't harm your hard work ("Well, I lost the weight I wanted so I can binge drink and eat cupcakes all I want!). Do something nice for your body and soul. Buy a new dress. Get yourself a movie and have a girls' night, with friends OR yourself (and bring a cupcake, but not too many (: ).

Your big goal is your business, but hopefully you know how to set a productive and attainable goal without beating yourself up over details. YOU CAN DO THIS, fellow Anchor Angels. (:

Goals? You can comment yours below...or you can just keep reading mine over and over until you get tired of knowing my business (: UP TO YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Let me know what you think (: