Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Diet: Low Sodium

In one of my previous posts, I told you readers a little bit about me and why I am doing all this. I have Wilson's Disease, and as a result, I am on a special diet. Because I was a late diagnosis, I had some liver damage. It turned out, my entire life, I was holding on to water in my abdomen, and as a result my doctor put me on a low sodium diet. Some of my other family members had to go on this diet to, so I made it my mission to make this diet worth it.

At first, I was eating a lot of plain, bland food and keeping it very simple. As a result, I was only taking in about 800-1000 calories a day, which is actually at starvation level. NOT good. So I needed to make sure that I started to take in more calories so I didn't starve myself.

In the future, I am actually going to post my recipes, with delicious looking pics, so you can see all the creations I have come up with so you can eat healthier. These recipes are not only low sodium, but they are usually low calorie. Again, I will make sure I post alterations you can make in case you're allowed to eat things I am not.

Still, a low sodium diet can be tough if you want to go out to eat. A "low sodium" diet consists of a diet where you add no extra salt and you monitor how many milligrams of sodium (usually listed on the nutrition facts panel on food items) you take in each day. A normal, healthy diet is only supposed to take in about 2300-2500 mg of sodium a day, which is actually pretty low to begin with, but I am only supposed to take in 2000 mg each day.

If you visit food nutrition sites for restaurants, you'll notice, as I did, that many meals in restaurants have about 1200-2500 mg of sodium, just in that ONE MEAL ALONE. So, for me, eating at restaurants can be a challenge. On a low sodium diet, you should only go out to eat about twice a week, and there are some main foods to avoid, such as anything brined (soaked in salt water, like pickles and olives), anything fried, and pizza, just to name a few. Fast food is usually out altogether. I was really lucky that I gave up fried and fast foods the summer before I was diagnosed as having Wilson's Disease, because it made the transition easier. Look for more posts in the future with specific tips to help you eat at restaurants with a diet like this, and look for my recipes soon! (:

Questions? Comment below, Anchor Angels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Let me know what you think (: