Tuesday, March 18, 2014

How I Kicked the Fast Food Habit

One of my favorite shows of all time is Extreme Weight Loss, and it isn't just because Chris Powell, the trainer, is very caring and nice to look at (even though he is). It's because the show itself is really inspirational, even for those who don't need to lose half their body weight in a year.

In one episode in particular, Chris Powell, in an effort to show his new client how bad her diet was, tells her they are going to trade diets for the day. She is going to eat his diet and he is going to eat her unhealthy diet, the one that caused her to gain all her weight in the first place.

While he is eating his huge McDonald's lunch, Chris Powell, who commented  on not feeling well the entire day he was on this diet, begins to vomit profusely, and has to excuse himself for the day. That is the effect fast food can have a on a body that is not used to eating in. In return, if a body is ONLY used to eating fast food, healthy food can have a similar effect on that person because they are not used to eating foods that are good for them. Their body enters a state of detox, and as a result, that once unhealthy person begins to get sick, even though they are eating food that is good for them.

When I saw this episode, even though I new fast food was not good for me, I really began thinking about it. I used to get grilled chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants, but I knew even those sandwiches were not the best for me. Fast food itself is high in calories and tends to be high in sodium. I also knew fried foods were not good for me, but boneless buffalo wings were MY FAVORITE food. What was I to do?

Last summer, when I really started committing to running almost everyday, I decided I needed to make better choices for myself. I vowed right then and there that if other people could give up these bad foods, so could I.

Now, after having been sick and being put on this low sodium diet, I have actually had people say to me, "You're so lucky the doctor told you you can't eat those foods! I can't stop! If someone told ME I couldn't eat them, I would be grateful."

What people don't understand is I initially made the choice for myself. I stopped eating fast food because I wanted to stop for myself. I stopped eating fried food because it was something I wanted to do for me.

The first step to getting healthy is choosing to yourself. Even if someone says you can't have it, if you really want it you won't change a thing. You have to find the motivation within yourself, and I KNOW you can do it. If you want this for yourself, you can CHOOSE this for yourself. As  always I am here to support anyone who wants to make this choice. Of course, I am not going to tell anyone they HAVE to make this choice. I am in no place to judge anyone for their eating habits because I still have some bad ones myself, and I cannot make every healthy choice because there are plenty of things I cannot eat because it will hurt me, even though they would normally be a healthy choice.

Remember,

If you want to do something, you don't have to start at the beginning of the year, month, or week. You can start tomorrow at 6 AM, or you can start right now. It's up to you! (:

A perfect example of getting healthy when you choose is one of the greatest women I have ever met, Rachael. She has her own blog, The Rachael Way, which you NEED to check out RIGHT THIS SECOND please!

Image from http://www.therachaelway.com/


Rachael is one of my sorority sisters and someone I believe every woman could learn from. She, too, has recently made the choice to commit to getting healthy! Here's what she has to say:

"After turning 21, my health kind of took a turn for the worse.  I wasn't taking care of myself or my body, and truly was feeling bad about it!  I decided that nothing was going to change unless I truly decided that I was ready to change.  I've been meal prepping, counting calories, working out and just taking care of myself.  And you know what?  I've never felt better!"

A little change can make a HUGE difference, even if you cannot see it at first. I have since even gotten to chat with Rachael when I went back to visit and it sounds like she is happier and healthier, just from making a few small changes! She is proof that if you really want to change, nothing can stop you!

Let me know what changes YOU have been making, and make sure you give The Rachael Way a visit! Just reading what Rachael has to say I KNOW you will love her as much as I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Let me know what you think (: