Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tummy Tuesday: Oatmeal Ideas

Lately I have been SUPER obsessed with just plaing Quaker Oats Rolled Oats. While I really like flavored oatmeals, obviously, since I am trying to eat healthier to help me maintain a healthy weight and achieve my Model by May goal, I have switched over to just plain rolled oats and trying to jazz them up myself! Flavored oatmeals can be very high in preservatives or sugars that aren't always the best to be putting in your body.

While the oats by themselves are kinda bland, putting fun additions into the oatmeal can really change the entire dish for the better. I eat this stuff for breakfast and for a snack when I am tempted to eat cake or brownies or something I shouldn't have (I gave up sweets for Lent).

Apples with honey and Oatmeal with Maple Syrup...my breakfast of champions!


Here are some of my FAVORITE ways to eat oatmeal. NOTE: Not all of these options are considered the "cleanest" oatmeals (if you're into only eating clean), but all of them can be done on a low calorie scale if that is what you're looking for. Calories are approximated for the measurements given plus 1/2 cup of dry rolled oats (about 1 cup cooked).

  • Maple Syrup (1 tsp) and brown sugar (1 tsp).  They are each SO sweet that together they create the perfect combo! (190 cals)
  • Peaches (1/2 cup chopped) Make sure YOU DON'T use canned peaches or peaches soaked in syrup. That syrup is more often than not all corn syrup or very sugary. (185 cals)
  • Strawberries (1/4 cup chopped) and Banana (1/2 banana, sliced) (220 cals)
  • Honey (2 tsp) and Cinnamon (1/2 tsp) (190 cals)
  • Apples (1/2 cup chopped) and Cinnamon (1/2 tsp) (200 cals)
  • Peanut Butter (2 TBS) and sugar (white, 1/2 tsp) This is probably one of the WORST ways to eat your oatmeal because 2 TBS of PB is ALL you should really consume in a day. Peanuts are a great source of good fats, but eating too much PB is just as bad for you as eating something unhealthy. Not to mention that some PBs are HIGHLY processed. I eat Simply Jif because there is 33% less sodium and less sugar in the PB than normal peanut butters. Stay away from reduced fat peanut butters, as peanut butter contains GOOD fats, and of course if you reduced ANYTHING good for you it is not really good for you anymore. Because I eat reduced sugar peanut butter, I add the sugar, but this can be omitted. Without it, though, the oatmeal is still rather bland. If you want to reduce the caloric value, only use 1 TBS of PB (350 cals)
  • Peanut Butter (2 TBS) and Banana (1/2 banana, sliced) Again, decrease the amount of peanut butter in the oatmeal to save calories. (480 cals)
I cannot eat chocolate, but I know that chocolate chips (especially dark chocolate chips) can be a really good topping for oatmeal, especially with vanilla yogurt as a part of the recipe as well. Nuts can also be really good as long as you stick to healthy portion sizes. I hear almonds are the best! I also hear that mixing in greek yogurt can be delicious! I also really want to try blueberries in my oatmeal and try to mimic a healthier blueberry muffin flavor! I am really excited to try out new toppings!

What do YOU like in your oatmeal? Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Let me know what you think (: