Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Avoiding Temptation When it Comes to Food

This past week I have REALLY had to work on resisting temptation when it comes to food. Now, again, I am not saying to deprive yourself of ANYTHING. That is NEVER recommended. I am sure, though, you have heard, like me, that giving up sugar, white carbs, and sometimes even dairy, are the key to really having the body you want.

While I don't like to cut out an entire group of foods, I understand the science behind some of these choices (or at least what they CLAIM the science is), and I agree that, if these claims are true, maybe I should have given up all three of these a long time ago.

I am fine with giving up white carbs, mostly. I LOVE Olive Garden breadsticks. Those are my weakness. I know that I will have trouble EVER giving those up. I never want to give up dairy because I firmly believe that our bodies need the Calcium and Vitamin D we get from this food group, but we need to watch WHAT kind of dairy we eat.

I really don't have THAT big a problem with giving up sweets, as I already cannot have chocolate, but I don't think sugar should be treated as the most evil of all substances. Eating it once a week shouldn't hurt your progress as long as, like usual, you don't go overboard.

Still, all three of these things are constant temptations for me. Those breadsticks ALWAYS smell soooooo good. Cheesecake calls to me. And I love smothering food in shredded cheese. This past week with me being away from home and experiencing a holiday, I had to really work the willpower to cut out those foods that could do me in....and I stunk at it.

SO, here is what I have to say about resisting temptation on vacations, at sleepovers, during holidays and the like.

Now, just a disclaimer before you read on: AGAIN, I am not a nutritionist, and I am not telling you what you should or should not eat. If you've talked to your doctor and you feel that you need to cut back on some of these same foods as I do, here are my tips for avoiding these temptations as they come.

1. If you can help it, don't surround yourself with it. Don't bring snacks on vacation if you don't want to eat them. Ask anyone you're staying with to make sure their snacks are out of sight and explain why. Tell your friends not to offer food to you unless you can eat it. Anyone who supports your fitness/health journey will want to help you, not make it harder for you.

2. If you can't avoid the snacks, remind yourself WHY you don't want to eat them. Tell yourself you are doing this for you. Remind yourself that you want to only put good things in your body.

3. Only surround yourself with healthy snacks. If you're the one buying the snacks, only buy fruits and veggies and food that you know is acceptable for your own personal goals. Snacking shouldn't be avoided altogether as proper snacking can help jumpstart your metabolism, but snacking on potato chips and cookies won't do you any good.

4. If you know deprivation is the key to oversnacking, don't deprive yourself, just help yourself to SMALL PORTIONS ONLY. Just enough to squelch your craving. NEVER eat out of a box or bag and always put it ALL THE WAY AWAY when you're done getting your portion so you aren't tempted to oversnack.

5. Bring your own snacks/food. If you know you're going to an environment like a slumber party where you're going to snack, bring your own healthy snacks with you. Introduce your friends to these snacks so they, too, want to eat healthy. If you're going to a holiday where you know you're going to have unhealthy food, make and bring your own. Having my own dietary restrictions, I have learned that not EVERYONE will want to make adjustments for you and not everyone will want to eat your special foods. You just may have to bring your own and eat something different from everyone else. It isn't necessarily fun, but if you're committed to your own health, you know this could be a big component.

6. Keep busy. I always want to snack when I am bored. Don't hang around the food and don't let yourself get bored. Distract yourself with other things.

These are the things I figured out this week, and I hope to really commit to them in the future. Some of them I have said before, others I have just recently thought about and wished I did. Either way, know that while you really should get support from your friends and family, they may not want to change themselves. Only YOU can make sure you're sticking to your goals. All you can do is ASK for the support and hope they give it.

Keep it up, ladies! I know I am feeling the time crunch because I gave myself until May 17 to reach my Model by May goals! Good luck this last month, angels! I wish you all the best of health and fitness in this home stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Let me know what you think (: